- Main Page for Adult High Education
- Adult High Office
- Adult High School Diploma Program
- English as a Second Language
- High School Equivalency Office
About Adult Basic Education (ABE)
GCC is mandated through Public Law 14-77 to provide adult education to individuals who are 16 years of age and not enrolled or required to be enrolled in a secondary school under Guam Law (Public Law 34-104; Compulsory Age 18yrs. old), and is -
- basic skills deficient;
- does not have a secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent, and has not achieved an equivalent level of education; or
- an English language learner who has limited ability in reading, writing, speaking, or comprehending the English language and whose native language is a language other than English or lives in a family or community environment where a language other than English is the dominant language.
The mission of the Adult Education Program (ABE, AHS, & ESL) is to prepare adult learners with the essential knowledge and skills needed to obtain their diploma or high school equivalency, transition into postsecondary education and training without remediation, and become more efficient and productive members of society and the workforce.
The GCC Advantage
GCC's Adult Basic Education courses are accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Students who complete the CASAS assessment are advised of their scores and appropriate educational path. ABE courses are offered throughout the program year and on GCC campus and through our community partners.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of ABE courses, students will be able to:
- Illustrate proficiency in reading complex informational text independently in a variety of content areas.
- Demonstrate complex problem solving, reasoning and proof, modeling, precise communication, and making a connection in mathematics.
- Acquire the skills needed to pursue gainful employment.
- Transition into the Adult High School Diploma Program or take the GED® or HiSET® exams.
The Adult Education Office (AEO) provides basic skills and English-As-A-Second Language (ESL) courses and tutoring services are provided through GCC's Reach For College Department.
Adult Education Brochure
Location: Foundation Building, 2nd Floor
Hours: 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.