COUNSELING SERVICES AVAILABLE
- You are on...
Main Page for Counseling Services Available
COUNSELING SERVICES AVAILABLE
- We provide information regarding admission procedures, placement test requirements, instructional programs, and other services.
- Assist students with program planning, course selection, and scheduling
- Help students plan strategies or approaches to successful academic and goal achievement
- Encourage students to maintain satisfactory academic progress
- Work with students in facilitating the career exploration process
- Work with the administration of standardized inventories, computerized surveys, and tests, assist in exploring values, interests, and abilities for application to the world of work
- Provide limited personal counseling
- Adhere to ethical standards by keeping counseling sessions confidential
- Provide referrals for resources in the community
- Protect students' basic human rights
- Assist in mediation of disputes and grievances
- Act as the advocate of the student
- Interpret standardized tests
- Administer the English and Math Placement Test
- Conduct interest inventories, personality surveys, aptitude tests, and value appraisals
- Administer the Foreign Service Examination Coordinate site testing for the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB)
Workshops and Classroom Presentations
- GCC Counselors provide the following workshops/presentations:
- Stress Management
- Career Development
- Anger Management
- Goal Setting
- Study Skills
- Personality Types
- Time Management
- Team Building
Training and Technical Support
To help improve career decision-making, GCC counselors use the following programs with students, parents, teacher, and caseworkers:
The computer software provides assessments for career planning, information on more than 600 O*NET occupations, college applications, financial aid, job openings, portfolio management, resume writing, interviewing tips, and other internet links to career-related resources. This software is now available online for all GCC students at www.bridges.com/ct . Please contact the Assessment and Counseling department to meet with a counselor to access this online program.
Real Games Series
The classroom lessons/units provide simulations of real life situations for secondary and post-secondary students. The lessons develop an understanding of career and educational planning and their relationship to the world of work.
Global Career Development Facilitator - Certified Counselors provide training for professionals who assist students/Clients with career and educational planning. The training meets requirements for certification as Career Development Facilitator.
Improved Career Decision Making - The department provides curriculum-based instruction to help counselors/teachers use occupational and labor market information effectively with their clients/students.
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
Counselors provide training on the interpretation of the psychological personality inventory. Trainees can appreciate type dynamics and its relation to relationships and the classroom and/or workplace environment.