STUDENT HEALTH CENTER
MODIFIED Hours of Operation
Effective Friday, November 16 to December 6, 2018, nursing services will be from 9AM to 2:30PM, Monday to Friday.
NOVEMBER 16th – DECEMBER 4th:
MONDAY, TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY
TB Skin Testing: 0900-1200PM
Sign-in Sheet for Health Clearances closes at 3PM
THURSDAY: NO TB SKN TESTING
Sign-in sheet for Health Clearances closes at 3PM
TB SKIN TESTING: 0900-1200PM
Sign-in sheet for Health Clearances closes at 3pm
DECEMBER 5 & 6:
NO TB SKIN TESTING
Hours of Nursing Services: 0900-1100AM
DUE TO HOLIDAYS: THANKSGIVING AND OUR LADY OF CAMARIN DAY
No TB Skin Testing on November 20th to 23rd
No TB Skin Testing on December 5th and 6th
DECEMBER 7, 2018 TO FEBRUARY 4, 2019:
Health Services Center will be open for Health Clearances from 8:30-3PM.
Nursing services will not be available.
Health Center Mission
The Health Center supports the college mission statement through provision of
optimal health services to its clienteles as they seek training and education to
meet their career-oriented and employment-related goals.
About The Student Health Center
The Student Health Center is staffed by one full-time registered nurse (RN)
and an administrative assistant (AA). Luis G. Cruz, MD, is the medical director.
Students and employees of the college may utilize the Health Center services.
Health Requirements for Enrollment
GCC Student Center (Building 5000) | 1st Floor (Right Wing) Rm 5116
Student Health Center Services
- Basic first aid for injuries and medical conditions that occur during school time
- Assessment and nursing management of chronic health problems based on the client’s physician-prescribed therapeutic regimen*
- Annual screening of employees for tuberculosis (TB) as required by law
- Screening of students for TB in compliance with public law and school policy
- Administration of TB skin test
- Immunization program*
- Immunization audit in compliance with public law and school policy
- Brief Tobacco Intervention (BTI) program
- Screening of height & weight, blood pressure, vision, and pediculosis*
- Pregnancy testing and prenatal follow-up*
- Advocacy for persons with disabilities
- Referral services on health management
- Counseling on health and health-related issues.
- Health Promotion/Education through Class Presentations
- STD & HIV Testing & Treatment in Partnership with DPHSS
*Services will be rendered upon the availability of staff and resources.
Health Requirements for New Students
- TB clearance within (1) one-year prior to school registration.
- For any individual entering Guam from an area other than the United States or its territories, Public Law 22-130 requires that a tuberculosis test must be conducted within six (6) months prior to enrollment.
- Those with positive test results must obtain medical evaluation with valid chest x-ray report from their private medical clinic first and then proceed to the TB Section of the Department of Public Health & Social Services for clearance. Located in Mangilao DPHSS, 1st Floor, Rm 118. *Chest x-ray is valid for (5) five years from date administered.*
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR):
- Students must at least have one dose on or after the first birthday. Guam Immunization Protocol strongly recommends that individuals born in or after 1957 receive two doses of MMR, if they have never had measles (physician-diagnosed), or if they do not have confirmed laboratory evidence of measles immunity. Those born prior to 1957 are exempted from the MMR requirement.
- Tetanus & Diptheria (TD) received within the last 10 years
- Oral Polio Vaccine (OPV)/Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV) for students below 18 years of age
- Properly completed Emergency and Health Information Form
Health Requirements for Continuing Students
- Continuing students are NOT required to have an annual TB skin test.
- TB skin testing is only given if a student has stepped out for two (2) consecutive semesters in a row (Fall & Spring). If the student is a positive reactor, TB clearance is only good for one (1) year from date issued by The Department of Public Health and Social Services. *Effective August 18, 2015, per Department of Public Health and Social Services, a Physician's TB Clearance with valid chest x-ray report is needed along with a Certificate of Tuberculosis Evaluation Form issued by The Department of Public Health and Social Services every year student is attending classes at Guam Community College.**Chest X-ray is valid for (5) five years from date administered.*
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) is good for a lifetime if dosages 1 and 2 have been given.
- TD immunization is good for 10 years after administration and needs to be updated prior to expiration date.
- The Emergency and Health Information form also needs to be updated (see link below).
Students whose choice of study will place them at risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens are advised to follow further instructions
by their respective program advisor regarding other health requirements such as Hepatitis B vaccine and physical examination.
Useful Health Information
P.O. Box 23069
Barrigada, GU 96921
Emma R. Bataclan
Genny P. Mesa