GCC CLYMER Program
Classroom Learning Yields Math & English Readiness
- Save money by avoiding developmental courses.
- Graduate on time with an Associate’s Degree.
- Transfer to a four-year institution and graduate in a timely manner.
Click here for:
The CLYMER program is not a scholarship - fees and tuition rates still apply.
The CLYMER program is an option and is
not mandated by the Guam Community College.
Based on data from 2010 to present, students who took MA110, MA161A, and EN110 upon graduating from high school or by participating in our DEAL program without taking any developmental courses performed as follows:
- MA110: Approximately 80% successfully completed MA110 with a “C” or better.
- MA161A: Approximately 90% successfully completed MA161A with a “C” or better.
- EN110: Approximately 85% successfully completed EN110 with a “C” or better.
If a student does not complete the college level course registered through the CLYMER program with a “C” or better:
- The student may choose to retake the course.
- The student may choose to take a developmental course based on the results of the class and the advisement of the instructor.
- The student may choose to take the placement exam to determine an appropriate developmental course.
ELIGIBILITY FOR CLYMER
Be a recent* graduate of one of the Guam Department of Education (GDOE) high schools.
*Have graduated from high school within two years of applying to GCC.
Provide transcripts with application.
TO ENROLL INTO MA110
TO ENROLL INTO MA161A*
- Have completed Algebra II* with a “B” or better
- Have a GPA of a 3.2 or better
*Algebra II is the Math eligibility requirement for Non-GDOE schools for the CLYMER program to enroll into MA110.
- Have completed Trig/Analytical Geometry with a “B” or better.
- Have a GPA of a 3.4 or better.
*All CLYMER applicants for MA161A will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
TO ENROLL INTO EN110
- Have completed English 12 or equivalent with a “B” or better.
- Have a GPA of a 3.2 or better
Non-GDOE CLYMER participating schools
English Eligibility Requirements
| Father Duenas Memorial School |
AP English Literature
| Academy of Our Lady of Guam||English IV|
| Notre Dame High School|
AP English Lit & Composition
| St. Paul Christian School||British Literature|
| Guam High School (DoDEA)||English 12|
| Marianas High School (Saipan)|
AP Language & Composition
If an interested applicant does not meet a specified grade requirement (due to a “C”) or does not meet a specified GPA requirement by 0.2
or less, the student may still apply, but must provide the following:
- A letter of recommendation from his or her two most recent math and/or English teachers providing assessment of applicant’s ability to successfully complete the college level course(s) for which
the applicant is applying.
- A letter from the applicant providing a self-assessment of his/her ability to successfully complete the college level course(s)
in which the applicant intends to enroll, and information about the applicant’s educational goals.
For Summer Session Applicants and DEAL Applicants, or for more information, please contact:
Mr. Gary Hartz, Associate Dean
Location: Bldg. 2000, Room 2224
The CLYMER program is named in memory of the late Patrick Clymer, GCC Coordinator, Admissions and Registration. Mr. Clymer passed away suddenly last year, while he and Dr. Michael Chan, Dean of the School of Technology and Student Services, were working on the placement test waiver program.